OF CELL PHONES
Originated in the 1920's -two way radio system used to
communication with one
another or with a central base.
- Based on radio
- not very practical, was only able to make six
phone calls before
the car's battery was drained.
- 1946- the first
official cell phone was used by the Swedish police.
- 1947- D.H. Ring from Bell Labs started the
technology of modern cell phones with the creation of hexagonal cells
for mobile phones.
- 1967- mobile
phone technology was available- but the user has to stay within one
- this technology facilitated continuity of a phone
call from one
area to another without dropping the phone call.
Amos Edward Joel , an engineer at Bell Labs developed the
call handoff system.
- 1973- first
actual cell phone was made by Martin Cooper of Motorola.
- 1971- AT&T submitted a request to the FCC for
- 1982- FCC
allocated the frequencies of Band to Advanced Mobile Phone Service.
- took 15 years to come to the market at an expense
of over $100 million
dollars in research costs.
- 1983- Motorola
unveiled the first truly portable cellular phone.
- 1990- considered
second generation (2G) cellular phones.
- Today- third
generation (3G) cellular phones.