"What are the Requirements?" - Reading the Assignment
the assignment all the way through as soon as possible after you
receive it. Underline answers to the questions below:
- How long should the paper be?
- Am I free to shape the final product myself, or has the professor
described its parts and/or its order?
- Has the professor given me a series of due dates for completing
specific tasks of the larger assignment, such as submitting
an annotated bibliography, a tentative thesis, an outline, or
a first draft?
- Has the professor indicated a certain documentation style,
such as MLA (Modern Language Assocation), APA (American Psychological
Association), or Chicago Manual Style? (for more information
on MLA and APA, see Research Strategies)
- Has the professor specified the paper's design, such as the
standard 1-inch margins, double-spacing, and numbered as well
as stapled pages?