1. Mix together the flour, baking powder and flour; set aside
2. In a large bowl, cream white sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Add eggs one a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Add some flour mixture and some milk and repeat this until all the flour and milk are gone. Finally add the pineapple extract.
3. Melt the butter and pour into a 9 x 13 inch pan. (Make sure the sides are buttered.)
4. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly to cover the bottom of the pan.
5. Arrange the pineapple rings around the pan and place a cherry into the center of each ring.
6. Pour cake batter over the pineapples.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the cake come out clean.
8. Cool for 10 minutes and then carefully turn out onto a plate. DO NOT LET THE CAKE COOK TOO MUCH OR IT WILL BE STUCK IN THE PAN.
9. Skip steps # 1 and #2 if you use a yellow cake mix.