This is my uncle’s version of the meat sauce that is used on the famous New York System Weiner (yes, they spell the word incorrectly), which is found only in Rhode Island. This is as close to the original as one can find, so don’t go looking on the web for others as you will be disappointed. Yes, there is a bunch of fat in this sauce, but don’t be a wimp-you are only spooning a tablespoon or two on your weiner.
- - 1 pound fatty hamburger (70 is preferable)
- - 2 ounces finely chopped onion
- - ¾ ounce chili powder (1 ½ tablespoon)
- - ¾ ounces allspice ( 1 ½ tablespoon)
- - 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- - ½ teaspoon curry powder
- - ½ ounce garlic powder (1 tablespoon)