Task 1: Read the section titled “Welcome to Cyberspace: The Internet and World Wide Web”, pages 15-18 on Internet Explorer 5.0, in the Lab/Microsoft Office 2000 book.
Task 2: In the Lab book section titled “Welcome to Cyberspace: The Internet and World Wide Web”, read & follow interactively (i.e. on a computer) Hands-on Exercise #2, pages 19-26.
Note: this task does not require any output. It is purely an exercise to ensure that you are familiar with all the aspects of your browser. Take some time to explore all the features that you can.
Task 3: Answer the questions on the next page, using your browser & the search tips discussed in class.
o The answer to the question
o The website URL/address that the answer was found (be sure to indicate the entire address! You should be able to type it into the browser address bar & get back to the same page)
o The search method you used, e.g. what search engine(s), if appropriate; what search approach – keyword, specific site, etc.; what keywords (text string searched on), etc.
Task 4: Continuing Task 3
Task 5: Here’s your chance to get even! OPTIONAL ;-)
Write down a question that you would like me to answer using the Internet. I won’t commit to a due date but I will attempt all questions submitted (limit 1 per person) and will respond via e-mail with what I believe to be the correct answer. I reserve the right to give-up & ask for the correct answer! J
Task 6: Read Chapter 3, Section 3C titled “Application Software” in the Concepts/Lecture book. Also, read the section titled “Exploring Microsoft Word 2000”, Chapter 1 pages 1-9 and pages 25-32 in the Lab/Microsoft Office 2000 book.
1. What is the capital of “
2. Who currently holds the fastest time ever run by a woman for a marathon (26.2 miles) and what was her time?
3. What is the organization IEEE and what do the letters stand for?
5. If I wanted to fly Delta Airlines from
6. Who wrote the Flintstones theme song?
7. Who are the guests tonight on The Late Show with David Letterman? (List Date)
8. What is the World Record weight for a pumpkin? Also, what site(s) might I reference to learn about growing “Giant Pumpkin”?
Back to Assignments page