Slide 21 of 23
Coordinate Systems Continued
The State Plane Coordinate System - SPCS
- Used primarily for engineering applications
- Distortion less than UTM - dimensions usually in feet.
- Arbitrary origin - An arbitrary number of feet south and west of the most southwesterly point on the map.
- Eastings and northings all come out positive.
- Advantage over UTM: more accurate, to within a foot rather than a meter.
- Disadvantage: Lack of universality, as e
ach state has it‰s own coordinate system.