The following books and cases are required and may be purchased at the University of Hartford Bookstore
- Philip McMichael, Development and Social Change: A Global Perspective, 3d ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 2004
- Richard Peet, with Elaine Hartwick, Theories of Development, New York: The Guilford Press, 1999
- Bruce Rich, Mortgaging the Earth: The World Bank, Environmental Impoverishment and the Crisis of Development. Beacon Press, 1995
- Mark Montgomery, "Sustainable Development or Environmental Imperialism: Guinea-Bissau and the Hazardous Waste Trade," Pew Case Study 214
- Gregory P. Corning, "Managing the Asian Meltdown: The IMF and South Korea," Pew Case Study 235
- Paul C. Sondrol, "Power Play in Paraguay: The Rise and Fall of General Alfredo Stroessner," Pew Case Study 612
- Mark Tessler and Lori Brand, "Democracy and Islam in Arab Politics," Pew Case Study 611
- Internet Readings: Several readings on the syllabus are directly accessible on the Web. Just click on the title.
- Several readings are in PDF formate and are accessible through Blackboard. I will alert you to them as they approach.