Public Safety FAQ



Public Safety FAQ


What does the Department of Public Safety do?

The Department of Public Safety, is responsible for safety and security on campus. The Department of Public Safety is in full operation twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. Full time Administrative staff consists of the Director, Associate Director, Quartermaster, Records Manager, 2 Lieutenants, and Parking Services Manager.

The department also has uniformed positions for a crime prevention officer, investigators, sergeants, field officers, dispatchers.

During the academic year, when needed students supplement the department's staffing, providing escort and clerical support.


The primary responsibility of the Public Safety Department is protection of life and property. Realistically, no society, community or college campus can be totally crime free. However, we can take measures to deter criminal activity on campus. Each member of the University community has a responsibility to adopt sound safety and security practices both on and off campus. It is only in partnership with one another that we can continue to provide a safe environment in which to work, learn, and engage in social activities.


Can you bust me Quartermaster Lehan?

Public Safety personnel currently do not have sworn police powers, and do not carry offensive weapons such as firearms, but we are required to enforce all state, local, and federal rules and regulations, ordinances and laws including those pertaining to alcohol and drug violations on campus. We also enforce University regulations and conduct routine parking enforcement. Every effort is made to enforce these regulations in an equitable and professional manner. Public Safety maintains a close, professional relationship with the Hartford, West Hartford and Bloomfield police departments and response from these departments, when needed, is prompt and very supportive. 


That said Public Safety officers can charge students with offenses as listed in the living document, called THE SOURCE.  Printed once a year and up to date on line at The Source We also uphold all housing rules set down by the Office of Residential Life and the University Administration. These charges are processed in our on-campus legal system process called Judicial Review. Major crimes and offenses may incur both University charges and federal, state or local charges requiring the services of a lawyer.


We can detain you while investigating crimes and offenses, restrain you if necessary for your own, bystander or officer safety. We can enter any location on campus including dorm rooms and apartments, when need arises for health, well being and general safety  issues as this is private property, and you are guests of the University.   These situations include but are not limited to:

Searching for busted pipes or open windows in winter.


Searching for plumbing, electrical or other utility issues.


Noise complaints where no one responds to a knock on the door.


Requests from O R L, AC, RD, or RA's for suspected drug and alcohol or health and safety violations.


Smoke and fire detector activations.


Check Welfare Checks of students failing to respond to phone calls, or missed appointments from concerned parties as expected or after injuries.


 The Judicial office and ORL can issue search warrants 24 hours a day, seven days a week for Public Safety and or Local Police to search for drugs, alcohol, weapons or any other banned items or stolen goods.

Remember you as students waved most of your rights under the student conduct, parking permit and housing contracts that you signed that bind you to follow the rules and regulations of the University.


What training do you have as Public Safety Officers?

All Public Safety officers have at least Connecticut State certification as Medical Response Technicians with some officers certified at higher levels of medical training. These individuals are first responders to all medical emergencies on campus and provide immediate assessment and care. Members of the Public Safety Department are well trained and maintain certifications in the PR-24 defensive baton, OC a.k.a. pepper spray, handcuffing, and MOAB - management of aggressive behavior. Staff members are also trained to properly respond to reports of sexual assaults, group disturbances, fires, psychological emergencies, and conflicts involving faculty and staff, students or individuals not formally associated with the University.

What type of calls do you respond to?

Routine incidents, emergencies, and calls for service, such as lockouts of rooms, and jumps for disabled cars in our parking lots. We also escort students upon request of our dispatchers. For patrol purposes, the properties owned or controlled by the University of Hartford are divided into districts that are patrolled by officers in vehicles, on foot, and on bicycles. Officers are required to maintain high visibility and department vehicles are well marked and easily identified.


Why did I get a motor vehicle violation? I was parked legal wasn't I?

The University of Hartford appreciates the cooperation and courtesy shown by most students, faculty, staff, and friends who observe the established parking and traffic regulations. While most people follow the rules and regulations, a few do not.

All parking rules and regulations are covered in the Your Car on Campus publication issued with each parking permit. Residents CAN ONLY park their vehicle where assigned. If you are assigned to residential lots you cannot move your car up campus to be closer to a class.  TAKE THE SHUTTLE BUS.


Yikes $100.00 fine in J lot, I was only at the SASC registering for classes!

J lot is for Admissions guests while at Bates House or on Campus tours. NO ONE else with the exception of Public Safety, Operations, Emergency vehicles, or official university vendors may park in J lot at any time including weekends.  We ticket all vehicles not displaying a Bates House guest permit.

J lot is clearly marked as the Admissions (Bates House) visitors parking lot.  These visitors spaces require a special permit issued only by Bates House. Bates issues the permits to prospective students and parents who drive often several hours to get here to see the campus first hand. Many of you did the same as Juniors in High School.

The only exception to the rule for J lot is PRIOR permission to park being granted by Public Safety on a case by case basis. The so called Flasher rule (see below) DOES NOT APPLY in academic parking lots at any time.

The fine for parking in J lot is $100.00 as clearly marked on a sign at the entrance.


What is the flasher rule? Short term allowances clause of Your Car On Campus as defined in the General Conditions, section 11 allows for the loading and unloading of vehicle contents to and from your residence in any residential area in any NON RESERVED legal parking space for up o 15 minutes as long as you park with your four way hazard lights on.

Again you may park in any open LEGAL non-reserved space FOR FIFTEEN minutes ONLY! After 15 minutes you are liable for citation at the locations fee schedule as defines in Your Car On Campus.


bullet  You can never park in a State Permit Handicap space (fine is $150.00 for the first offense, $250.00 after the first) unless your vehicles registering state has issued you a valid handicap parking hang tag, and the hang tag is displayed, or your state has issued your vehicle handicap plates.
bullet You may never park in any yellow painted NO PARKING spaces or Fire Lanes or beside yellow painted curbs.
bullet No parking in front of dumpsters and fire hydrants
bullet Never valid on the academic side of campus.

Public Safety officers will electronically "Chalk your tires" to record the time and duration of your parking.  At sixteen minutes a violation shall be issued in an amount corresponding to the place and posted limits of the space your parked in. In addition a tow order may occur to your vehicle, at owners expense.


Hey my car is in the shop where can I park my loaner? The process is called Posting your Vehicle. Just call or  Come to the Public Safety Dispatcher window with registration of the loaner (or rental agreement) and fill out a posting form. It's that easy and two minutes will save you ticketing heartache. The posting process should go online sometime in early 2010.


Why was my car immobilized with a boot, or towed away? All cars on campus MUST show a valid parking sticker, hanging tag or temporary pass.  All others are trespassing on private property and will be subject to fines, fees and or be towed. 

Any vehicle not parked in a legal spot, or parked after legal hours posted may be towed off campus at owners expense.

When an owner/operator accumulates five (5) or more tickets (paid or unpaid) in one academic year - Sept 1 to Aug 31, his or her parking privileges will automatically be revoked for the remainder of that academic year.

The offending operator may not operate or park any vehicle on campus, and no one may operate a vehicle belonging to or operated by the offending operator. Such vehicles are considered banned from campus and will be immobilized and/or towed if found operating or parked on campus. Failure to adhere to this policy may result in administrative disciplinary action. Appeals of this revocation may be made to the Director of Public Safety or designee. Please call for an appointment if you wish to make an appeal at 860.768.7985


Why did I loose my parking privileges for speeding on campus?  The three most common reasons you can loose you parking and driving privileges include:
bulletExcessive accumulations of parking citations in a given academic year. 5 or more citations or warnings, paid or unpaid will get you banned. This is the case for all University members including Faculty & Staff.
bullet2 moving violations including running Stop Signs or crossing the yellow line, failing to stop for a pedestrian, speeding etc.
bulletOne speeding violation in which you were found to be traveling 41 miles per hour or greater.

The speed limit is 15 miles per hours on all campus roads and in all parking lots.  If you are found speeding a scale of fines includes:

bullet20 to 30 mph $30.00
bullet31 to 40 mph $50.00
bullet41 and over $75.00 and loss of all parking privileges.

Anyone who receives two moving violations in an academic year will have all parking privileges revoked for the remainder of that year.

We use Laser to track your speed, so slow down.  You never know where we will be running traps, as the laser has so much more of a range then radar does. We see you before you see us.


Why did I get a $100.00 ticket for failing to yield? The campus is a pedestrian zone and YOU MUST YIELD to any pedestrian who is on the road walking, or running. You MUST stop for anyone crossing the road EVEN if they are not in a crosswalk. 


How do I prevent myself from loosing my privileges? Read Your Car On Campus which is located at This living University Document is updated and is the Official Rules & Regulations you agreed to follow when you e-signed your parking permit agreement.


How do I appeal my parking tickets? All parking appeals are made on line in the University of Hartford's Self Service Portal. You only have 14 days from time of the citations issuance in order to request and appeal. See Your Car On Campus for details of which violations are appealable through the Appeals Process Team or through the Traffic Appeals Board at an offical hearing date.  Once on line either state you want an hearing date by following the online directions, or simply enter your reason for appeal request for the process team to review your appeal request.

Remember all moving and handicap violations are not subject to appeal through the team or the boards. These violations can only be appealed by the Director of Public Safety or his designee.



How do I remove my old permit from my rearview mirror? I find the best way to remove and old parking permit is to use a rectangle of packing tape or duct tape. Having the surface of the mirror warm also help so in winter using the defroster will help warm the decal.  The permit decal is designed to shred to prevent its reuse on another vehicle.

Think of removing a band-aid. Sometime slow and steady does it, sometime a quick rip does it. Your vehicle will be one or the other.



Home | Quartermaster | Public Safety FAQ

This site was last updated 01/04/10