All majors begin with ENG 140: Introduction to Literature (3 credits), unless exempted, and conclude their studies with ENG 465W: The Capstone Course (3 credits).
· ENG 140
· Four literature electives (300 or 400 level courses prior to 1914 )
· Capstone course
· Two courses from ENG 217, 218, 220, 221, 222, 223, 230, 231, 240, 241.
· Four electives at the 200 level or above from within the English Department or approved, cognate courses
Creative Writing Concentration
· ENG 140
· Four courses from the creative writing section: ENG 216W/RLC 216W, ENG 225W, ENG 310W, 311W, 312W, ENG 313, 314/DRA 464,465, ENG 317W/RLC 317W, ENG 333W, ENG 410W
· ENG 465W: Capstone Course
Six courses from within the English Department or approved, cognate courses offered in other departments (Communication, RLC) or programs (African-American Studies, Women’s Studies)
The English Minor
A total of 15 credits of English beyond ENG 140. Up to 9 of these credits may be in advanced writing courses (ENG 225W or above). Courses counted toward the English minor may NOT be taken on a Pass/No Pass basis without the written permission of the department.
The English Major
University of Hartford
Department of English
200 Bloomfield Avenue
West Hartford, CT 06117
Faculty: To access printable versions of advising forms for English Majors, click here.