The Professor's Perspective
understand the professor's perspective better consider the following
- reasons for a reading assignment
- connections to recent material
- expected student response
- relationship to professor's position
Fastwrite or talk with a classmate about a current reading assignment:
- Why do you think the professor assigned this reading? Is it
to supplement a lecture? to introduce new info? to provide examples
for analysis? to prepare for a test?
- How does this reading connect to recent material? Does it provide
further evidence? offer any alternative viewpoint? make a transition
to new material?
- Does the professor expect you to be familiar with the reading?
to summarize main ideas? to analyze the argument made? to synthesize
with previous learning?
- How does this reading seem to relate to the professor's position
on the course material? Does it reinforce recent lectures? Does
it challenge the professor's interpretation?