"Now Do I Understand the Assignment?" - Talking
to Classmates, Tutors, Your Instructor
onsider these questions:
- Can I rephrase this assignment in my own words?
- Can I imagine what the various parts/sections of the overall paper would consist
If you struggle to answer these questions, here are several ways to seek some help:
- Discuss the assignment with a classmate. Gather a few students' e-mail addresses and telephone numbers early in the term, before you need them.
- Contact your professor using his or her e-mail, voice mail, or office hours. Some of this information is available at the Faculty and Staff Directory.
- Schedule help with a tutor by calling the Center for Reading and Writing at (860)768-4312 or using the drop-in tutoring available at Mortensen Library (call x4312 for details).
- Ask the reference librarians for the help with research assignments; be as specific as possible so they can help you better.
Remember your classmates, your professors, and tutors have busy schedules, too, so make appointments as soon as possible.